Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Retreat Weekend

Two weekends ago was my quilting groups annual retreat. We had lots of fun, and as you will see, we did a lot of sewing!
We all did a pattern called Contra Dance, which was fun. Basically you sew a four patch quilt like this:



Then you cut it apart on the diagonals, like this:



You rearrange it like this:




And then you sew it back together, and add borders. Then it looks like you pieced it on the diagonal. Pretty cool, huh?


This one is my Mom's:

Sharon's:

MaryAnn's:

Mia's:

Mine:

Debbie's (hers isn't done because she made king size!):

Marissa's:


There were four other ones as well, but somehow I didn't get pictures of them. Too bad, because Marilyn's was made of all purple batkis and was to die for!!


8 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Wow those are great. I don't usually like to do the patterns that cut up a whole quilt, but these look fabulous! Looks like a good pattern.

free indeed said...

That is so cool! I've never actually set a quilt on point yet..this one might be easier to gradually get into it and give me confidence :)

Carol E. said...

Those are great! I like yours and Sharon's the best.

The Calico Cat said...

neat, I saw something like that in one of the Fon's & Porter magazines. I would be too chicken to make the diagonal cuts...

BTW I have or at least had your space print - the main one... (Cats in space! I fussy cut a cat for my cat charm quilt.)

Marit Johanne said...

Looks like you had a very nice retreat weekend. So many beautiful quilts! It was interesting to see the way you cut and sew them together again.

Anonymous said...

What lovely quilts and such an unusual idea.

I thought I'd pop in as we're both on the Christmas in July swap. Isn't it fun making things for someone secretly. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Tracey, glad you have a lovely time on the retreat....I think I would a little anxious cutting into the quilt....they all turned out fabulous...Warm Regards Lyn

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.