Monday, February 12, 2007

Pillowcase Tutorial

Tonight I am presenting a pillowcase making demo at one of my quilting groups. I am going to post step by step instructions and photos:

For each pillowcase:
¾ yard (27”X WOF) theme fabric for pillowcase body
11”X WOF for cuff edge
2”X WOF for trim (thin accent band)

1. Place cuff fabric right side up with raw edges at top and bottom and selvages at sides
2. Fold and press trim fabric in half, wrong sides together to form a strip 1”X WOF
3. Place raw edges of trim along the top edge of the cuff

4. Place theme fabric right side down against the cuff and trim, lining up all the raw edges at the top edge. The selvages should be at the side edges of all pieces. Temporarily pin to hold in place. You can trim the selvage edges if the fabrics are not the same width.

5. Roll up the theme fabric toward the pins until you can grab the bottom edge of the cuff. Pick up the bottom edge of the cuff and bring it up to the raw edges that are pinned together. Undo the pins and re-pin connecting everything together - forming a tube. The pins should be holding together the top of the cuff, both edges of the trim, top of the theme fabric and bottom of the cuff with the theme fabric rolled up inside the tube.

6. Sew along the pinned edge. Reach into the tube and turn right sides out. If you have a hemostat it works quicker. All of your seam allowances will be hidden inside the cuff!
7. Press flat. Fold right sides together so you can sew or serge the bottom edge and side edge, completing the pillowcase.

Saturday, February 03, 2007


Well it is FINALLY looking like winter here in CT! And of course, it had to happen on a night when I was going out somewhere...Thing One and I went to the variety show at one of the local elementary schools. Not the one she attends, but that of several of her friends. We went to get an idea of what to expect when her school holds theirs next month. When we came out of the show, it was snowing! Okay, so it was sleeting, but it had been snowing, so everything looked nice.

I meant to post a picture of my double four patch in the last post, but I couldn't get the picture to upload. Unfortunately, the cd and the camera are not here now, they got left somewhere else in my travels. Sigh. I'll have to get them tomorrow.

In the meantime, I finished the bindings on the heartstrings quilt and the citrus fizz. I sewed the front of the bindings on two more quilts, which hopefully will get hand sews in the next few days. I also made 5 more hats. I need to get out my big bag of hats to get an accurate count, I lost count somewhere along the way about a week ago.