Saturday, October 20, 2007

GHQG Annual Gathering


So today was the Annual Gathering of the Greater Hartford Quilt Guild. I mentioned yesterday all about how this works, so I won't again today. I did however, want to share some pictures and stuff. There was a very nice turnout today for the meeting, there had to be about 200 members in attendance, there were 10 vendors and two good speakers.

The speakers were
Mary Mashuta and her twin sister, Roberta Horton. Yesterday (Friday) they each taught an all day class, and tomorrow they will each teach a class as well. Today, they gave lectures. The morning lecture was Mary, talking about using Stripes in Quilts, with lots of slides to see. No quilts though. The afternoon lecture was by both Robert and Mary, and was called something like "Shared Experiences, differing perspectives". They talked about how they each work (slides of their house even!). Mary has an assistant who helps her to cut things out, do the grocery shopping and the cooking. Roberta sends all her tops out to be hand quilted. Each of them works in a separate studio, even though they live in the same house. I did get the impression that stash raiding does take place! LOL. They talked about places they visited and experiences they had, and then they shared the different quilts that each made based on that particular experience. It was very interesting to see how different the quilts are. Then they showed about 6 or 7 quilts each. It was interesting to see how much sibling rivalry seems to go on between them....I can just imagine that it might be very intersting to be a fly on the wall in their home!

One of the things at Annual Gathering is that there are always lots of door prizes. When you arrive you get a program, and if your program is marked with a numbered sticker, you win the corresponding door prize. I won! My prize was a batik panel donated by Batik Tambal. I looked at it for a long time, and I think I'm still not sure what it is! I asked a lot of people, and most people see some sort of an insect. Responses were: a butterfly, a dragonfly, 'some kind of bug', two bugs, a hummingbird drinking nectar and of course one not-to be named quilter who said it looked like someone drank too much last night. The only thing I could think of was a guy whose head is exploding! I wonder what that says about MY state of mind that I saw that???? What do YOU think it is???

3 comments:

Carol E. said...

I think it's two butterflies doing the Big Dance.

Mary Anne said...

Hmmmmm ..... not quite sure what that is .... I do like the colors, though!

(P.S. thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your nice comments ! I really appreciate it! Come back and visit anytime!)

Tonya Ricucci said...

the batik looks like fairies to me. I can see lots of fun possibilities. wow, those lectures sound great. I hope Roberta Horton is coming out with a new book soon. I LOVE her Scrap Quilts book.