Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Almost finished!

With my crochet afghan, that is! I completed the crochet part today. This is a real monster of a blanket...its about 90" wide and 100" long! It really grew out of control. Hree is the story: I had a lot of leftover yarn when I finished my 100 hats, you know, those short pieces that are left over. Well, I decided that I would make myself a little lap blanket in scrappy colors with those leftovers. Of course I haven't crocheted since I was about 10 years old. No matter, its not that hard. I looked at a couple things online to make sure I was doing it right, so I felt okay.

I sat down and started chaining, with the chain laying over my lap so that I could figure the size. After a while it seemed maybe big enough, but maybe I should add a little bit more so that it will cover me a bit more. So finally I decided it was long enough, 200 stitches, and I started single crocheting like a madwoman. About 20 rows later I held it up to look at it, and I was SHOCKED to see how wide it was...like 90 inches. LOL. By that time, I had spent a long time working on it, so I wasn't going to rip it out. Soon I realized that I wasn't going to have nearly enough yarn. Mom and my aunt supplied me with some of their ends and pieces, but still, not enough variety to keep me happy. So Thing One and I went out to Walmart and bought about 20 more skeins of yarns in various colors. So much for busting the yarn stash! This was all 4 weekends ago.

I've been crocheting ever since...it has been a great mindless thing for me to do. Now it is all stitched, the big thing I have to do is weave in all those ends, and there are a ton of them since I changed colors every two rows or so. I'm pretty pleased with it, as long as I don't look at the sides very much...the sides are very very wobbly...I decreased and increased stitches on the sides all over the place. I'm okay with that though, next time I'll work on improving that.

Now both of my kids want me to make a lap size one for them. I have a feeling I'll need to go yarn shopping again.

I'll share a picture after I get all the ends woven in.

2 comments:

KC Quilter said...

Ooooh, hope you'll post a photo of your big afghan soon! Love to crochet mindless things!

Rose Marie said...

Yes, please, we need to see a photo. Extra yarn, why not use it up and make a fringe on the two ends and then you won't have to weave in the pieces where you exchanged a new colour?