Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Weekend Wrap Up

So the extra loooong weekend is over. That's right, I stretched the Thanksgiving weekend from last Wednesday morning until this afternoon (Tuesday). LOL. Gotta milk it for all its worth, I guess!

A Summary of Thanksgiving. Ugh. LOL. We had turkey, stuffing (with giblets, sausage and apples), mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, jellied cranberry sauce, whole cranberry/orange sauce, rolls, pickles and olives. For desert, we had swedish apple pie and pumpkin pie. But one thing...

I am NEVER cooking a whole turkey again. NEVER. EVER. NEVER.

I mentioned last week that I don't even like the whole turkey dinner thing, and I cooked the whole turkey (which BTW took 5 hours at 350 degrees rather than 4 hours at 325 as promised on the label, and I didn't even put stuffing in it). Well, sure, I cooked the whole turkey, and all anyone ate was the breast. Not a single other piece was touched by anyone. So next year, I am only doing a couple of breasts. I have already written on my 2008 across the top of November....BREAST ONLY NO WHOLE TURKEY so that I won't forget.

Then on Friday morning, Thing Two and I left the house in the dark (and SNOW) at 5AM to go shopping. We trekked the 20 miles to Wal-Mart in search of my digital camera, which I got. I got home and turned it on, took a few pictures and turned it off. When I turned it back on, the screen was all fractured/pixelized looking. Ugh. I turned it off and back on and it seems fine, but now I don't trust it. DH said I shouldn't have bought a Polaroid, so it is going back tomorrow. I'll have to find a new one (and I've been instructed to get only a Cannon or Kodak).

The rest of the weekend, we just sat around and relaxed. I watched most of Season 2 and 3 of Project Runway, a few movies with the kids, and some episodes of Iron Chef America.

On the quilting front, I worked on my gift for ChookyBlues Secret Santa Christmas Swap. The thing I am making is pretty straighforward, something I've done before, but for some reason, I kept screwing up at nearly every step of the way. So the 'simple' project is turning into a mess. I need to keep plugging along to finish by Friday. Unfortunately, I can't share any pictues yet because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

I did manage to quilt two UFOs. One is a Crumb Quilt to donate, the other is my Tossed Salad Quilt, which I will be keeping. No pictures yet, they still need bindings (this weekend, I hope, once the surprise projects are finished).

Oh, and I am still waiting for three people to sign up for the pay it forward challenge. I posted last Tuesday about it, and so far I don't have any takers. If noone wants to play, I'm just going to have to make three gifts and randomly send them to some unsuspecting people! Does anyone want to play, or am I just so late in the game that everyone is tired of it??

3 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Turkey dinner sounds fabulous, but yes I'd be one of those people only eating the breast meat. I can highly highly recomend Canon Digital Elph cameras. I have the SD600 but the newer models are even better.

I don't understand why, but Project Runway is very rewatchable. Rather silly really. I'm looking forward to seeing Season 4, but that won't be for quite some time.

Teri said...

On the turkey front we did a turkey breast as well. We brined it for 5 hours then cooked it in the oven and it was awesome. Found the direction in the Cooks Illustrated Poultry cookbook.

As for your camera, may I suggest the Canon PowerShot A650IS? I have this and am enjoying it immensely. There are tons of features and I'm finding it easy to use. 12.1 megapixels doesn't hurt either.

Happy Quilting!
Teri

Sew Create It - Jane said...

LOL..you sound like me. I did a whole turkey a few years ago and made myself the same promise. In fact I've even managed to convince the family we don't REALLY need turkey at Christmas do we? I also write notes in my calendar for myself so I don't forget things. I just have to make sure I write clear notes to myself as I have written a few that are cryptic and then it just doesn't make any sense!!! LOL