Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Thrift Store Treasure




I am always lamenting the fact that everyone else seems to find great treasures at their local thrift stores, but I never do. Well, last week, that all changed. I knew eventually I'd find something good for all my efforts.
This is my new-to-me Singer 201. I found it at the local Goodwill when I was looking for a dress. It was marked as $129.99, but it had a pink tag on it. The sign at the front of the store proclaimed "ALL PINK TAGS HALF PRICE THIS WEEK". WOW! Usually the half price does not apply to furniture, so I assumed that this machine in the cabinet would not be half price, but it was! So for $65. I got this beauty. It seems to work really well. I need to find a manual and give it a good cleaning, but so far, so good. It came with the cabinet, the stool, the attachments, and a button hole thingamajig.
I am SO happy!

7 comments:

dot said...

Great find. What a lucky girl. Maybe I should start lamenting.

Tonya Ricucci said...

that is an amazing find - what a beauty.

Chookyblue...... said...

wow you are very lucky.......if you get the serial number of it you can find out it's exact age from singer.........I did all mine the other day........

Chookyblue...... said...

some manuals for machines available here.......
http://www.singermachines.co.uk/Parts_&_Ser/Inst%20book.htm

Sweet P said...

Great find! It looks lovely!

Marilyn Robertson said...

You found a beauty! Have fun with it!

Fiber Babble said...

Do you know your machine's birthday? The serial number and
this webpage will tell a story!