Friday, February 29, 2008

Sewing, but not quilting


Today I have been sewing, but I am not doing a quilty project. I'm doing some dreaded garment sewing. Dance recital portraits are being taken on Sunday, and I am charged with making two vests for DH's dances. It is hard to believe that the situations I get myself into by volunteering, but here we go again!

The studio purchases the girls and women's costumes from several very lovely suppliers that make horrendously expensive costumes which look fabulous on stage, but when you look at the workmanship up close, you might be appaled. Well, that is if you know anything at all about sewing. For the 99.9% of the studio Moms, they think it is all wonderful. I look at the costumes and go, "Oh my, I paid $70 for THIS? there is a hold in the seam" or whatever... Anyway, there are a few boys that dance in the studio, and about 3 men. My DH and Thing Two are among the men and boys. When it comes to costume time, the men and boys are often kind of left out and end up being told "Wear black pants and a black shirt" or something like that.

This year, Thing Two's class has two boys in it, and they did purchase actual costumes fo the two boys: they are Knights in Shining Armor...this is going to be a great Halloween costume next year. DH's costumes present another issue. For Jazz, they are doing Rock Arond the Clock and the ladies are wearing poodle skirts. No problem: DH will wear a white t-shirt, jeans and his leather coat. For Jazz, the ladies have a red sparkly top wit black pants. The studio ordered a red vest for DH. Unfortunately, it was NOT sparkly, and looked like Mr Roger's sweater vest. Even worse, it didn't fit. DH is a big guy, and the costume houses just DON'T do XXL. So I have to make a vest and bowtie for DH to wear for that costume. DH and THing One are doing a Duet (they are tap dancing to Grim Grinning Ghosts, the theme from the Haunted Mansion at Disney World). Thing One's costume is black and orange. So I need to come up with something fo DH to wear for that, too.

So today I have been making vests. At the moment, my quilting room is covered with orange glitter. No matter: the orange vest is done. I just have to sew the buttons on it, then I need to make the bowtie (maybe, if I have time). Sure, the buttonholes are a little crooked, but noone in the audience will ever notice. Even better, this costume ended up costing less than $10 for the vest. Add his black pants and black shirt, and he's all set. I am thrilled now because I wasn't too happy about the color of the fabric, but looking at the finished vest next to part of Thing One's costume (in the picture) it matches better than I could have ever imagined.

Now I need to go do the red vest. At least I have until Sunday!

No comments: