Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Greener Grocery Shopping is in the Bag!

For a while I've been seeing pictures of fabric grocery bags on various blogs and websites, and I've wanted to make some for myself. I seem to have a good size pile of those 99 cent green bags (and some various other color ones) that the grocery store sells, but it seems like every time I bring one home, someone sticks stuff in it and it gets another use: for carrying clothes to grama's house, shoes to dance class, yarn or quilty projects, library books, etc. I never seem to have any to use when I get to the grocery store! Besides that, the solid colors are kind of boring. Yes, I do like the Bart Simpson one I got a few weeks ago, but I want unique fun bags!

On another blog yesterday, I saw a picture of a colorful bag shaped like the plastic t-shirt bags from the grocery store. On that blog, she mentioned that the British Quilt List Yahoo Group is running a Bag Challenge for the year, with a new pattern each month. The bag was so cute and I felt instant motivation! So I joined the group, and today I made this:


I think I messed up about 4 times, but I did figure it out and though it isn't perfect, it is functional, cute and finished! I will definitely be making more of these (I have another cut out already).

While I was in the studio, I also gathered up enough strips for the Scrappy Bargello Quiltathon on Sunday. I didn't have to cut a single strip for it...the box of 2 1/2" strips was ready and waiting for me. I do need to press them and maybe it would be a good idea for me to trim some of those strings that seem to be everywhere

9 comments:

Carol E. said...

Maybe I'm just tired, but I can't figure out that picture. Is the bag suspended in mid-air?

Carole said...

Cute Bag! You know, I made some grocery bags and stitched out embroidery motifs on it. And you know what, it's been over a year and I keep forgetting to bring them to the store with me! lol So much for helping the environment! Keep well!

Donna said...

collections of bags seem always to be helpful... love the pocket on the bottom to fold it into :-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Welcome to BQL. I'm on that list too and I'm doing the bag challenge too! Now the trick is to remember the bags before you head out to the shops ;o)

Cherold said...

Tracy, did you get my email with the pattern for the sewing machine thingee? Love your blog!

CheriS

SandyQuilts said...

Hey I keep saying I'm going to make some of those bags ... I come home from the store with at least 20 plastic bags every week. What is the URL for the British Quilt group ... I'd like to check them out.

Calidore said...

Love the bag - what a good idea to make a bag each month. If nothing else at least you know you will be able to find them...vbg.
Thank you for your comment on my blog - it was very much appreciated.

Nancy said...

Is there a tutorial anywhere for the bags? THey would be great to make. I try to put most of my groceries in paper bags. Then the hubby puts our recycling in them or we burn them.

Thanks,

Nancy

Yvonne said...

It looks great! Have you started February's bag yet? That's my task for today... I don't think I like it as well as January's, though. I love the way January's bag folds up--like a quillow. Very handy.